Everyone these days wants to lose weight fast. Perhaps it’s those extra pregnancy pounds that just aren’t coming off despite all the nursing in the world. Maybe it’s the midlife spreading waist line. Or maybe you’ve always just been a little bit overweight.
One of the best things you can do to easily drop pounds without radically changing your lifestyle (besides going ultra-low carb and ditching grains altogether) is to eat coconut oil.
In America’s recent past, coconut oil got an undeserved bad name.
Because it’s high in saturated fats, and they were unjustly demonized. Cutting-edge research has pretty much shredded most of The Lipid Hypothesis — the theory that there is a direct correlation between saturated fat and cholesterol intake in the diet with incidence of coronary heart disease. We now know, for example, that most of the studies which showed dietary intake of saturated fats (particularly those using coconut oil) were bad for you were actually proving that trans fats are bad for you.
(If you’ve got time, you can watch an 18 minute video tutorial I created called Good Fat Bad Fat.)
But unrefined, virgin coconut oil is an excellent and traditional fat and contains no trans-fats whatsoever.
How can Virgin Coconut Oil boost your metabolism and promote weight loss?
A few things:
- It’s high in medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs). A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found patients lost weight when they included MCFA’s in their diet. In fact, when you compare a diet including olive oil or MCFA’s, it was found patients lost more weight using MCFA’s.
- It’s high in lauric acid. Lauric acid is an MCFA so it will help you lose weight, but it’s also documented to have amazing antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal properties. In other words, it fights everything from the common cold to serious lipid-coated viruses such as HIV and herpes!
- It will reduce your food cravings. When you add coconut oil into your diet, you’ll feel more full and eat fewer calories over all.
Still Don’t Believe Me?
Check out the amazing progress these two ladies had when they eliminated the junk fats (vegetable oils like corn, soy, and canola) from their diets and switched to healthier fats (coconut, hemp, and olive oil).
PLEASE NOTE: This is all these ladies did! They switched to good fats, period.
Finding Good Quality Coconut Oil
If you’re looking for a good source of coconut oil, you’re not very likely to find it at your grocery store. Fortunately, there are several decent sources online.
- The least expensive unrefined, virgin coconut oil I’ve been able to find is from Mountain Rose Herbs. It’s $41/gallon.
- The best tasting organic extra-virgin coconut oil comes from two places. The first is Nutiva. It’s $50/gallon and well worth the cost! The second is Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil (not to be confused with their other labels, which I’ve found have inconsistent flavors). It’s $70/gallon and just about the BEST tasting coconut oil I’ve put in my mouth!
- Wilderness Family Naturals sells a good quality coconut oil, but it’s neither the best tasting nor the cheapest. But if the other online retailers are out of stock, or if your taste buds vary from mine, or if you just want a good middle ground between cost and flavor, they’re worth trying. It’s $65/gallon.
NOTE: All these retailers also sell smaller (& larger) sizes. I listed the price by the gallon because it’s often the best value.