Watermelon Agua Fresca
8 cups cubed seeded watermelon (about 6 pounds with the rind), divided
1 cup water, divided
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 liter (4 cups) club soda or seltzer water, well chilled
Lime slices for garnish
1. Combine half the watermelon and half the water in a blender; puree. Pour through a coarse strainer into a large container. Repeat with the remaining watermelon and water. Stir in lime juice. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours.
2. To serve, stir in club soda (or seltzer) and garnish with lime.
NUTRITION INFO: 10 cups. Per cup: 20 calories; 0 g fat; 3 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber
3 cups finely diced seedless watermelon (about 2 1/4 pounds with the rind)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro (about 1/2 bunch)
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup minced red onion (about 1/2 small)
Place watermelon, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and onion in a medium bowl; stir well to combine. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
NUTRITION INFO: 8 servings, ½ cup each. Per serving: 26 calories; 0 g fat; 7 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber
3/4 cup cold water
6 cups watermelon chunks (4-pound watermelon), seeded
2 tablespoons lime juice
1. Place watermelon and lime juice in a food processor; process until smooth. Set a sieve over a large bowl and press the puree through to remove tiny seeds.
2. Pour the watermelon mixture into a shallow metal pan and freeze until ice crystals form around the edges, about 30 minutes. Stir the ice crystals into the center of the pan and return to the freezer; repeat every 20 minutes until all the liquid is frozen.
3. Serve immediately or transfer to a storage container and let harden in the freezer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Serve in chilled dishes.
NUTRITION INFO: 12 servings, ½ cup each. Per serving: 27 calories; 0 g fat; 8 g carbohydrate; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber